Dalton Park is an outlet shopping centre in County Durham and is the biggest in the North East, with over 60 shops selling over 200 different brands and designer labels. Outlets include M&S, Next, Adidas and GAP fashion stores.
Dalton Park Management were looking for a professional waste management service provider to fully implement a waste management plan on their site. Following a tender process they awarded the new contract to O’Brien in September 2016. Waste streams included in the contract are; General Waste, Dry Mixed Recycling, Food Waste, Glass and Metal. O’Brien also negotiated an income for Dalton Park for baled materials such as cardboard, plastic/film and metal.
Key Performance Indicators/Service Levels
- Removal of waste on agreed days and at agreed times
- Response times to requests of service
- Cleanliness of storage areas for bins
- Condition and image of containers supplied
- Reports sent on agreed dates
- Maintain service level throughout inclement weather
Jerry Hatch, Centre Manager – Dalton Park
O’Brien is working with Dalton Park on reducing their general waste costs by introducing food waste segregation with retailers. Their general waste compactor weighed 30+ tonne each month and this has now been reduced to 24 tonne per month, 6+ tonne saving. O’Brien expects this to further reduce as more retailers understand the benefits of segregation.
Following site visits O’Brien identified an additional revenue opportunity for Dalton Park as they dispose of large amounts of clear polythene. They are now baling the polythene which generates revenue for them.
- The on-site recycling rate has gone from 19% to 57% within the first 5 months of the waste contract.
- Created additional revenue for clear polythene disposal.