Newcastle United Football Club (NUFC) is one of the largest clubs in the North East based in Newcastle upon Tyne. Newcastle United was founded in 1892 by the merger of Newcastle East End and Newcastle West End and has played at its current home ground St James' Park, ever since.
The ground was developed into an all-seater stadium in the mid-1990s and now has a capacity of 52,354. With this in mind NUFC produce a vast amount of waste and needed a solution in place to handle all waste streams and implement the most cost-effective, on-site recycling solution. NUFC are committed to achieving maximum environmental credentials and work in partnership with O’Brien to ensure this transpires.
Services provided include general waste, mixed recycling, glass, Weee, cardboard segregation and event waste management.
Key Performance indicators
- Removal of waste on agreed days and at agreed times
- Response times to requests of service
- Cleanliness of storage areas for bins
- Condition and image of containers supplied
- Reports sent on agreed dates
- Emergency call out within 3 hours
- Event waste management
- Monitor and improve recycling performance
- Maintain service level throughout inclement weather
NUFC require all waste to be removed on the agreed days and O’Brien understand the importance of ensuring a service is in place to keep up with the demands, especially on match days. O’Brien identified cardboard as a key material to further segregate due to the volume produced and liaised with the stadium and cleaning manager to work with all staff involved to segregate this throughout all stadium operations. This has proven a success and benefits NUFC by:
- Reducing their overall general waste costs,
- Creating additional revenue
- Increasing the overall on-site recycling, in line with NUFC environmental goals
O’Brien have also worked with NUFC and implemented mixed recycling throughout the stadium.
NUFC also hold large scale events such as the Rugby World Cup which O’Brien provide on-site waste management operatives, responsible for the overall supervising of waste movements and cleanliness. This ensures that the stadium remains presentable and the high volumes of waste are handled and removed in accordance to agreed schedules and quick turnaround times.
Increased on-site recycling, saving NUFC over 15k over the contract period.